I reported a bug with breadcrumbs on Woocommerce product pages (primary category) about 3 weeks ago. I managed to resolve the issue by installing, activating and then deleting the “Disable Emails” plugin. Please see this ticket https://support.rankmath.com/ticket/woocommerce-primary-category-bug-bread-crumbs/
I have just noticed the breadcrumbs are ignoring the primary category again. So I have just installed, activated and then deleted the “Disable Emails” plugin once again and now RankMath breadcrumbs are working correctly using the primary category.
Please can you take another look at this and see if you can fix it so this doesn’t continue to happen. It’s Driving me crazy as the incorrect breadcrumb is now showing in SERP results!
Before you ask I am unable to replicate this issue. What happens is after some time I notice the breadcrumbs are not using the primary category any more and then I apply the temporary solution I have described above.
One thing to note is this bug appears to me to be the same bug I originally reported 10 months ago, which was fixed and no longer was an issue until recently. See this ticket https://support.rankmath.com/ticket/woocommerce-breadcrumb-bug/
Thanks for your help.
The ticket ‘Woocommerce Breadcrumbs Bug in Primary Category’ is closed to new replies.