copied from facebook, because advised to ask it here for more support:
To make things more clear for already indexed (in google, bing etc.) woocommerce shops i have a few important questions. In rankmath there is the option to get rid of the product-category prefix and the product prefix, which i would love to use. If you enable that the pages with prefix get a canonical tag with the url of the one without prefix. That’s it.
Why is there the choice for a canonical tag and not a 301 redirect? As i know 301 is for a permanent redirect, which this is i think, and also needed if you want to let google know that the ranking of a certain page (the page with prefix) should be moved to the new one (without prefix). With the canonical tag you only tell google that the new url is the main one, but not to move the ranking of the old url to the new one. I hope for a clear answer on this.
For the removal of the product category prefix there will be no big problems, but the removal is the product prefix has always been an still is not advised because of url structure problems, slowing down the site and also because other plugins could get problems because of no product prefix. What are your thoughts about that?
I hope you can really clear my thoughts about this option, because i really like to use only clean urls, but not if i loose ranking because of using this option.
Thanks a lot.
1. The redirect is automatic. The URLs with prefix will redirect to the URLs without prefix automatically. If that isn’t working for you, we will need to check further.
2. We have not heard of anyone having issues with that. Do give it a shot and see how it goes.
1. There is no redirect, no 301. Just a canonical tag. And do you agree that is should be 301 redirect to get the ranking from the old url to the new one?
Please check https://www.ramfightinggear.nl/product/ram-o-staande-bokszak/
You can see only the canonical has changed, but no redirection to https://www.ramfightinggear.nl/ram-o-staande-bokszak/
2. I want to give it a shot, but must be sure that point 1 is solved.
- This topic was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Brablo van der Schaaf.
You must be logged in to reply to this ticket.