Google couldnt fetch

  • In the Rankmath plugin Version 1.0.28.1 search console>>sitemaps it shows that none of my sitemaps have been downloaded by google.

    If I submit my main sitemap (/sitemap_index.xml) to google search console. It firstly says success, but then if you click into it it says that it couldnt fetch the page-sitemap.xml or /post-sitemap.xml.

    Are you able to assist me in sorting this out please?

    Thank you.

    Temp login added for you.

    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Darren Griffiths. Reason: temp login added
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Same issues, please help

    Hi there,

    Thanks for getting in touch!

    I have tested your sitemap on https://onlinecurl.com/ and it looks like your server is caching your sitemap file and you also have W3 Total cache that is also caching the file which is causing this issue.

    Please head over to this plugin’s settings and exclude the sitemap file from your caching rules. You can also go further and get in touch with your host in doing the same from their end.

    I hope this info helps. Thank you.

    I asked my host about the issue. They advised me to remove W3C and install a Litespeed Server plugin, add the excluded sitemaps, update the .htaccess and then try again to submit to GSC.
    I did all of that and its still the same.
    Can you advise further?

    Hi Darren,

    Thanks for the follow up.

    Please allow this to fetch for a few days and let us know how this goes.

    Thank you.

    Ok – thanks. Will it take a while for the “couldnt fetch” message to change to something else that says it is successful?

    Hi Darren,

    Yes it will take a while for the new settings to take effect and thus you can delete the current sitemap index and resubmit a new one and then just wait.

    I hope this info helps. Thank you.

    Still the same after a couple of days now. I see other support tickets are also reporting similar issues.

    Hi Darren,

    Thanks for the follow up.

    Please head over to Rank Math > Dashboard and disable the sitemap module and then install the Google XML sitemaps plugin to check if the issue will still be reproduced.
    You can find this plugin on the WordPress repo here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/google-sitemap-generator/

    Let us know how this goes. Thank you.

    OK, so i disabled the sitemaps feature and loaded the google-sitemap-genertor plugin. I submitted the new sitemap to search console a week ago and it still said that it could not discover any urls. I decided to switch back to rankmath sitemap and it still says cannot fetch.
    Any other ideas?

    Hello,

    We might need to take a closer look at the settings. Please edit the first post on this ticket and include your WP logins in the designated Sensitive Data section.
    Sensitive Data Section

    It is completely secure and only our support staff has access to that section. If you want, you can use the below plugin to generate a temporary login URL to your website and share that with us instead:

    Temporary Login Without Password

    You can use the above plugin in conjunction with the WP Security Audit Log to monitor what changes our staff might make on your website (if any):

    WP Security Audit Log

    We really look forward to helping you.

    Hello,

    I have updated the sensitive data as requested. Can you please check further?

    Thank you.

    Hello,

    Thanks for the access.

    I have entered the sitemap URL on the Litespeed cache plugin crawlers section so that this sitemap can be used by crawlers instead of the one generated by LS.

    Please check the progress in a day and let us know how it goes. Thank you.

    Hello again,
    After 4 days i still get the error “Couldn’t fetch” for each of the category/page/post sitemaps. This has been 4 days now since your guys made some changes but weeks since i first noticed. My traffic from google is now declining to well below the normal. Looking for some more assistance please. Starting to doubt myself/abilities and lose confidence in the seo.
    Thanks

    Hi Darren,

    Thanks for the response and sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused by this issue.
    I would really love to help in this but this far we have been able to establish that the issue is not related to Rank Math since the Google XML sitemap is also affected.
    I have gone ahead and tested your sitemaps on online Googlebot simulators such as this but they state that the sitemap is accessible and crawlable.

    I would recommend that you bring this up with your host and have them check any other usage of server cache and CDNs that could cause fetching problems.

    I hope this info helps. Thank you.

    This is the response from the host…

    Hello Darren,

    Strangely the sites access logs only show Google failing to request sitemaps that don’t currently exist, for example:

    sitemap-pt-post-2017-03.xml
    sitemap-pt-page-2019-04.xml
    sitemap-pt-page-2017-03.xml
    sitemap-pt-page-2018-11.xml

    Other sitemap requests are successful: 66.249.64.121 – – [04/Aug/2019:21:42:33 +0100] “GET /post-sitemap.xml HTTP/1.1” 200 2184 “-” “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)”

    There’s nothing server-side blocking these requests – I’d recommend going back to your web developer to investigate further.

    To rule out caching being the issue though you could try disabling LScache and asking Google to recrawl.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The ticket ‘Google couldnt fetch’ is closed to new replies.