CMB2/502 error even after plugin update “fix”

  • Am currently up to date with the plugin (v1.0.41.2) and am still getting 502s and the CMB2 error when performing certain admin tasks (frontend seems ok for now).

    Here’s the actual error:
    Uncaught Error: Class 'CMB2_Hookup' not found in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/seo-by-rank-math/includes/admin/metabox/class-metabox.php on line 82

    Then there’s a list of affected core WP PHP files.

    I see one of the recent updates in the changelog “fixed” the CMB2 errors but it would seem it didn’t work for this site and suggestions? Thanks!

    • This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Pratik.
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hello,

    Thank you for contacting Rank Math and sorry for any inconvenience that might have been caused due to that.

    The password does not seem to be correct for the temporary user account. Could you please check this so that we can login?

    Looking forward to helping you. Thank you.


    Weird, I just updated and tested again and it worked–so try again and let me know if there’s still an issue. Sorry about that, thanks.


    Thank you for contacting Rank Math today.

    I’ve installed the Health check and troubleshooting plugin to try and rule out conflicts with your WooCommerce add ons but your site reports a 502 error while trying to troubleshoot.

    Would it be possible to check whether this can be reproduced when you manually disable all plugins except Rank Math & WooCommerce?

    Looking forward to helping you. Thank you.



    I failed to mention: because we have multiple developers on our site, we use a git repository to deploy changes (like adding/updating plugins) and don’t allow production/admin code modifications.

    I’ve added the plugin and activated it so you should be able to access now. If you get any other 502 errors, it’s due to the Rank Math plugin. If you deactivate Rank Math the 502s go away after logging back in.

    And unless you absolutely need me to disable all plugins, this being a production site, I’d prefer not to do that.

    Keep me posted, thanks.

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Would it be possible to clone this site to a temporary sub domain so that we can do some troubleshooting without affecting the traffic on your site?

    We are looking forward to helping you. Thank you.

    Let me work on that and get back to you–will you need FTP access? (Not standard with our setup).

    Also, not sure this matters, but our production site sits behind a load balancer and is split between two machines, the clone/dev site we setup will not be setup that way. Hopefully we can replicate the problem still.

    Will keep you posted.

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Yes, the FTP access will also come in handy 🙂

    I am looking forward to your response.

    Thank you.

    We’re setting up the server and want to get you access to SFTP. Are you able to provide your public SSH key either here or in the “Sensitive Data” section please?


    You would need to clear teh cache of the Git as well to fix this issue.

    Please check here:

    UPDATE: As I type this, I just noticed the problem – When I pull the plugin from git, is see that vendor/cmb2/cmb2/includes/CMB2_hookup.php has a lowercase ‘H’ (CMB2_hookup instead of CMB2_Hookup). However, when I look at the repo and/or extract the ZIP on macOS or the Linux instance, the ‘H’ is capitalized.

    I suspect that git must is holding on to a lowercase filename reference and that is causing it. I will try deleting it, clear the git cache, reinstalling it and see if it fixes it (it probably will). This appears to be a git (or possibly local file system issue, but most likely git) and is not an issue with Rank Math.

    Hope that helps. Thank you.

    Thanks for this.

    This turned out to be the issue, but our specific fix was a bit different as “git cache” is not a thing for us?…

    For others with the potential same issue: our issue was related to MacOS being a non-case sensitive filesystem where all developers in our group are using and our Git repository was setup to mirror that and not recognize the capitalization as a change because the MacOS didn’t tell it that it was a change. We used a Linux machine to update the file directly on the Git repository and everything seems to be working properly now.

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I am glad that this is now resolved 🙂

    Feel free to contact us should any other issue come up. Thank you.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The ticket ‘CMB2/502 error even after plugin update “fix”’ is closed to new replies.